Wednesday, January 15, 2014

My CPA Exam Journey

I have been asked by the student accounting group at my graduate program to talk to both undergrad and graduate accounting students about my journey throughout the CPA exam. As almost all of these students are in the process of, or planning on soon sitting for the exams, I hope sharing my experience will be helpful in better preparing them to pass. While I am in no way a “CPA Guru,” I have taken the exam very recently and can share the tips and tricks I learned along the way. Hope you enjoy.


Let us begin by talking about the structure of the Uniform CPA exam. As of 2013, the exam consisted of four individual sections. These sections are Auditing & Attestation (AUD), Business Environment & Concepts (BEC), Financial Accounting & Reporting (FAR), and Regulation (REG). Other sources will better explain the content of each exam. Each consists of four testlets, the first two have three multiple choice sets with 24 questions. AUD is followed by six simulation questions which test application of the material. BEC’s fourth testlet is a writing sample in which you must complete three short pieces that are scored on both technical content and grammatical structure. FAR and REG both have four testlets as well; however, each of the three first multiple choice sets have 30 questions and the fourth is again a simulation set. AUD and BEC both offer the tester three hours to complete, while FAR and REG offer four hours. Again, outside sources can offer a more detailed explanation of the structure, as this is simply an overview.

When it comes to registering for the CPA exam, you must first have completed the required education for your respective state; details can be found here. For my state (Michigan) and many others, you apply through NASBA. After applying and being approved, you will receive a Notice to Schedule (NTS), this allows you to register with Prometric to take the exam. Remember that testing is only offered in the first two months of each quarter, so plan ahead. I believe a key to success is to register for the exams ahead of time, as doing this adds a level of “stress” to stop the procrastination.

When to take each exam and the amount of time you will need to study for each will vary depending on your situation. For me, I took the exams over the summer of 2013 and in the following order: BEC, FAR, AUD and REG. I planned to spend the summer studying full-time, so this worked out well for me. The one piece of advice I can offer is to take your anticipated “hardest” sections first. When you get to the last exam you are most likely going to be burnt out from CPA exams and your motivation levels will be at all-time lows. Thus, taking your “strongest” sections last will make it that much easier to study. When deciding how much time to dedicate to study, just be honest with yourself. Don’t over plan study time, but don’t short yourself.

When it comes down to study techniques, I recommend using a prep program like Becker. Full disclosure, I am a campus representative for the program and did receive the material at no cost. However, I can confidently say that I believe that they offer the best prep program for the CPA. Regardless of your prep program you use, make sure you first watch or read the lectures then complete as many multiple choice questions as possible. The multiple choice questions are KEY. Most prep programs license their questions for previously used AICPA exam questions, which makes them very relative to the potential exam questions. The more multiple choice questions you complete, the better your retention rate and recall speeds will be on exam day, which is essential to success. I personally completed thousands of questions over the three months I spent studying; but I would like to think that my exam scores reflect this well.

One of the best study habits that I can offer is to set time aside for it. This is imperative to making sure you complete all the necessary preparation prior to exam day. Life offers you a multitude of distractions and more attractive opportunities. You will have to learn to give up your social life for a few months and be willing to turn down the night at the bar in exchange for reviewing IFRS standards. Yes, this will be undesirable, but in the end it will be worth it. As with everything, balance is a necessity, but don’t let this be an excuse to skip on studying in exchange for a few beers or dinner and a movie.

A great way to ensure you stay focused and have the physical and mental energy to get through your day is not only exercise regularly but to also eat healthy. I am neither a dietitian nor a personal trainer, so I will leave the details to the professionals: I will only offer the idea of plentiful cardiovascular exercise combined with a balanced diet. It will be very easy to snack on “junk” all day long while you’re cramming for the CPA, DON’T DO IT!

You will also need the support of your family and friends along the way. If you are in a relationship, prior to starting the exams explain the entire thing to your significant other. Doing this will help him or her better understand not only the importance of this exam, but also the tremendous time dedication it will require. Most people won’t understand how in-depth this exam is and why you can’t socialize more. You can try to explain it to them, but you’ll quickly get sick of this. Accept the fact that they will pressure you and you must be able to say no and ignore their comments and maintain focus. Once you’re done with the exams take them all out to the bar to celebrate and insist on each of them buying you a drink to celebrate, win-win.

For support and focus, I also utilized Another71.com. This site offers a great forum board filled with motivation and support. It is also a great place to either ask or answer questions. During my studying, I would ask questions on topics I did not understand to other members. I also would answer as many questions as I could on material that I understood. Doing this allowed me to reinforce my knowledge and I believe helped improve my performance on the exams.

When prepping for exam day, be ready for stress. The stress level for the first exam will be the worst, as you don’t know exactly what to expect. Don’t worry, they get less and less stressful as you get through them. Make sure you get a good night’s sleep before the exam and stay away from sleep aids as they leave you with “medicine head” the next morning. I am a huge coffee guy and believe that it is necessary for life; however, make sure you know how you react to caffeine prior to taking too much before the exam. You will be stressed as it is, you don’t need a case of the jitters to compliment the stress. Simply put, just relax. If you are prepared, you’ll do fine and there will be no need to worry.

To help alleviate the stress, I recommend packing everything you need in a clear plastic bag the night before. You must have both your state issued ID along with your NTS to get into the testing center. Forgetting either of these will leave you taking the exam at a different time. Weeks prior to exam day, make sure your ID matches your NTS name perfectly, you don’t want any issues on exam day. I am not sure if this applies to all Prometric centers, but mine allowed me to bring snacks in and leave them in the locker. I brought a few power bars to eat in between testlets; remember that these are three and four hour exams and your brain needs power.

I recommend dressing is layers, you will never know how the testing room will be. You will be checked for metal prior to entering the room. Leave hats, belts, watches, rings, etc. at home. Just make sure you are comfortable. I wore athletic shorts, a tee and my Jesus cruiser-style flip-flops to two of my exams. Being comfortable makes the four hours of hell a bit easier to handle.

Have you ever tried to write with a dried up dry-erase marker on a flimsy laminated sheet of graph paper? Well guess what! You will get the opportunity to very soon. Yes, it is as bad as I make it sound, they will give you two markers and I can ensure you that one will be completely dried up and the other will be darn close. Luckily you shouldn't need to write too much down; just be aware of what you will have to use. You can go and get new markers or sheets, but this will consume some of your valuable testing time.

Once you’re in the exam, you will be allowed to leave for breaks between testlets; however, your time does not stop ticking. I do recommend taking breaks between each to stretch your legs and get the blood flowing, and bathroom breaks are great too. Each time you leave, you will need to sign back in using your ID and a finger print, so make sure to factor this time into your plans.

Waiting for your exam score will feel like an eternity, but don’t worry it will come sooner or later. If you have more sections to take, stay focused and keep studying. If you are all done, crack open an ice cold beer and relax. While I am confident that you’ll pass them all on your first attempt if you dedicate the time, if you don’t—just relax. You can retake exams in the next testing window, just make sure you put more time into preparation for the next round. Passing isn't as much a function of smarts as a function of time dedicated to expanding your knowledge.

Best of luck to all you test takers!

Download: Presentation PowerPoint

No comments:

Post a Comment